For many of us, prayer tends to be a one-sided monologue, pouring out our thoughts, needs and praises. But God is eager to speak to us! I love this verse from Isaiah 50:4 “…He awakens me morning by morning; He awakens my ear to hear as the learned.” I want to wake up each morning to the sound of His voice teaching and instructing me. I’m not smart enough to solve the challenges I face. I’ve got to hear His voice.
It’s not always easy and takes some discipline to quiet the noise and focus on Him, but it is worth it! Here’s some helpful steps from the Navigators.
Listening Prayer Guidelines
- Still and quiet your soul. Quiet and still your soul before God from the cares of the day
- Resist the enemy. Take your place of authority by saying something like, “In the name of Jesus Christ I prohibit the enemy from speaking or interfering with this time.”
- Invoke His presence. Praise and acknowledge God as the One who is truly there. Ask that He would especially reveal Himself to you during your time of listening.
- Ask God to search your heart. Talk to Him about what He reveals, confess any known sin.
- Ask God to speak to you. Use the model of Samuel, “Speak Lord for I, Your servant am listening.”
- Wait in silence. Be still and quietly wait before Him.
- Use a pen & paper to write down the impressions He brings your way.Usually this will be words, phrases, visual images or thoughts that come into your mind through His still small voice of the indwelling Holy Spirit.
For more on listening prayer, click here